Everyone is welcome here!
Relationships are essential
Led by one of the city’s most respected child development specialists, our teachers work closely with families to appreciate and support each child’s unique approach to learning. Staff provides a nurturing environment that encourages peer interaction and helps children to feel safe and comfortable away from home.
• Classes for children 18 months through 5 years old.
• Qualified, experienced teachers with college-level preparation in Early Childhood Education or Child Development.
• Small groups and teacher/child ratios enable individualized and age-appropriate programming.
• Active parent involvement
• Weekly programs with music specialist and librarian
• Frequent interaction with our clergy
The classrooms are bright and cheerful and really celebrate the children. Over the last few years, my kids have always been well cared for by every single teacher they have encountered….more than I ever imagined.
A family-friendly & accessible environment
Our facility is cheerful, bright, clean, secure, and child-friendly, with well-thought-out spaces for young children and parents.
• Spacious accessible classrooms with abundant natural light
• Outdoor playground and indoor active play area for rainy days
• Sinks and bathroom fixtures in every room that are specially sized for young children as well as a child-friendly kitchen
• Health and nutrition education through hands-on gardening in The Edible Garden
• Extensive library with a dedicated children’s room
• Parents are welcome to stay and work or lounge in our Commons with couches, tables, and free Wi-Fi
• Ample free parking close to the entrance
Rodef Shalom Preschool is a warm nurturing and supportive environment that provides for all areas of a child’s development – physical, emotional, social and cognitive – through an integrated approach to learning. We recognize that each child is a unique person with his/her own pattern and timing of growth, individual personality, temperament, learning style and cultural background. It is our task to create a safe and stimulating environment and provide age-appropriate experiences that match the child’s development abilities while challenging his/her interests and understanding.
With play as the core of our curriculum, we provide a program that encourages success through involvement in self-selected activities. Children develop a positive self-image when they are given opportunities to exercise the power of their own choices. Teachers observe closely and ask questions, make suggestions and/or add more complex materials to stimulate children’s thinking, extend their learning and build their capabilities.
As a Temple school, we integrate our developmentally appropriate approach with the appreciation of the child’s unfolding Jewish identity. The preschool takes advantage of its Synagogue setting through extensive interaction with the Rabbis and full use of our site including the Biblical Garden, the libraries, the sanctuary and the chapel. We acknowledge and respect the diversity of our children while emphasizing Jewish values of family, community, caring and joy. Through music, holiday celebrations and learning simple blessings, our children gain pride in the richness of their Jewish heritage and culture.
Loving, play-based curriculum
The nurturing environment within our preschool extends to the entire community and provides numerous opportunities for young children and adults to make friends and build connections. The school draws form the city’s university, cultural and medical communities. International families, interfaith families and children from other congregations or unaffiliated families throughout Pittsburgh are all welcome to enroll.
The preschool takes advantage of its synagogue setting through interaction with the rabbis, and full use of our site including the library, worship spaces, and gardens. While we acknowledge and respect the diversity of our children, the Rodef Shalom preschool emphasizes the Jewish values of family, community, and caring. Music, holiday celebrations, and learning simple blessings help children gain pride in the richness of the Jewish heritage and culture.